Music licences for offices, businesses & background music

You benefit by using music: keeping staff and clients engaged, patient and creating a better atmosphere.

This OneMusic licence scheme is designed for businesses who have our music in staff recreation and lunchroom areas, back docks and on the factory floor, company gyms, company events including office parties, Christmas parties and Friday drinks, in training sessions and in presentations including music in slide presentations such as PowerPoint and Prezi as well as on Zoom, Teams, Skype and GoogleMeet, and providing music to staff (including via speakers, radio and providing music to or allowing staff to store/play digital copies of music from computers and devices).

The scheme also allows businesses to have music on their external telephone system, when a caller first dials in, when the receptionist transfers the call or on after-hours messages. Telephone on Hold music likely complements other music in your business or organisation. Learn more about how the licence fee for this scheme was set.

Most businesses use music from OneMusic in one of the ways described above and will require this licence from OneMusic. In some cases some of these uses may already be covered under other of our licence schemes (e.g. the Hotel licence scheme), but that cover does not extend to head and branch offices, who will need this licence. See other licence types to check if you need an additional licence.

Get a simple & quick online quote if you need a licence for 1-5 locations:

If you have 6 or more locations, please complete and download your licence agreement, then contact us at

Do I need a licence to play music in public places?

If you play music protected by copyright out loud in a public place for a commercial purpose such as a shop, a gym or a bar you need permission or you need to purchase a music licence. Legally this music use is different to playing music at home or in your car. This is called public performance of music.

What is the cost of a music licence for businesses?

Music licence costs depend on your business type, music devices and whether the music is protected by copyright. If you use the radio and you are a small shop the cost will be much, much smaller than if you are running a multi-purpose theatre. 

How can I legally play music in my business?

Your business can legally play music protected by Copyright by getting permission first. Permission can be from OneMusic Australia in the form of a licence for millions of songs in its catalogue, from the artists themselves for every song, through a background music supplier or other means. You need permission or a licence when your stream music in your business.

What happens if I don't take out a licence?

If you want to play and enjoy the use of virtually any commercially released music from anywhere around the world, you should immediately enter into a OneMusic Australia licence, because using OneMusic Australia’s music without a OneMusic Australia licence can constitute an infringement of our copyright which, if not rectified, may ultimately lead to legal action.

Of course, we will happily talk with you about your music licensing and certainly provide a reasonable time frame for you to take out a licence before escalating the matter any further.

But, if our music continues to be used without permission, then we will be left with no option but to enforce our rights on behalf of our members and affiliates, which could involve court proceedings. Such action may result in the business having to pay the licence fees as well as other damages and legal costs.

Over 95% of businesses and organisations that we deal with are readily compliant.

How much is a music licence?

To purchase a music licence you select only the cover you need for your music devices. Music licence fees start $100 a year. Fees differ by industry, a shop pays a licence fee on its floor space, a nightclub on attendance and a café on seating capacity.

Is it the performer or the venue that needs the licence?

OneMusic does not generally licence individual or group live performers such as bands and DJ's. It is the venue or the event organiser who needs to obtain a licence for public performance.

Performers may still need permission for copying

A performer may require licensing for any reproductions they are considering such as photocopying sheet music, videoing their performance, copying CDs onto a laptop. 

DJ Alliance have signed an agreement with ARIA and AMCOS to cover their physical and digital copies of music. This agreement covers their members starting from 1 July 2019.

Outside this arrangement:

OneMusic licenses performers who are part of a Community Music Group.