About OneMusic

While subscribing to a music streaming service or purchasing a CD allows you to play the music for personal enjoyment, it does not permit you to play it in a public or business setting. If your business plays music to clients, customers, staff or members of the public you most likely need legal permission. By getting a music licence you are ensuring music creators are getting compensated for their work so your business can continue to benefit from playing their music.

If you play music in your business, you most likely need permission.

As an owner or manager of a business, it’s your responsibility to comply with all licensing and regulatory requirements. This includes permission to play music that is protected by copyright. By getting the correct permission, you will avoid infringing the law.

Meeting your music licensing obligation.

OneMusic exists to proudly represent music creators and the material they create and own (songs, compositions).

OneMusic provides licences for Australian businesses to play the music you would typically hear on radio, TV and music-streaming services, or that you buy online or in stores. A OneMusic licence covers the majority of commercially released music, worldwide. Our online portal helps you assess your licence requirements and allows you to obtain a licence in a few simple steps.

If you do not acquire a licence or permission, you may be infringing copyright laws.

The rights of music creators are protected in Australia by the Copyright Act (1968).

Unlike playing music for your private and domestic use, playing music publicly is called ‘public performance’ and it usually requires permission from the copyright owners (the people who made the music). By getting permission you are not only preventing the risk of legal action, but also ensuring music creators are getting compensated for their work.

Some handy links:

What is OneMusic?

OneMusic (established 2019) is an APRA AMCOS and PPCA joint music licensing initiative.

OneMusic allows businesses and organisations to meet their copyright obligations for the use of musical works, sound recordings and music videos in a public (not domestic) setting. 

OneMusic appears on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS), Service NSW, Business WA and many other government websites alongside other licences a business requires.

OneMusic does not supply music. OneMusic licenses the rights to play music to the public, regardless of the source of your music. We license the right to play the majority of popular and well-recognised music from around the world – the music you likely play in your business.

What happens if I don’t take out a licence? 

Playing music for non-private use without permission can constitute an infringement of copyright which, if not rectified, may ultimately lead to legal action. This could involve a court proceeding and may result in the business having to pay, not only the licence fees due, but other damages and legal costs on top of that.

Is OneMusic legitimate?

Yes, you can check with the Australian Copyright Council or your industry association or state/federal government business licensing websites. 

Does my streaming service subscription cover me?

It doesn’t. Buying music, subscribing to music streaming services like Apple Music or Spotify, or turning on a radio or TV allows you to access music for private and domestic use, but does not provide the rights to use the music in a public or non-domestic setting. If you play music protected by copyright in a public place, such as at a shop, a gym or a bar, you most likely need legal permission, most commonly in the form of a music licence. 

Why do I need a licence?

Any business or organisation playing music in a public environment is required to have permission, usually in the form of a licence. Not only is permission a legal requirement, but it means that music creators are getting paid for their work so they can continue to produce music for businesses like yours. 

What are other options?

If you want to play music in your business and don’t want to take out a OneMusic licence there are a few options. 

  1. Obtain written permission directly from all the artists and music creators who own the songs you wish to play.
  2. Play music that is ‘royalty free’. But be careful; sometimes music labelled as ‘royalty-free’ is in fact not entirely free from the payment of ongoing royalties and you may still require a licence to avoid copyright infringement.

One of the easiest ways to get permission to use the majority of the world's music is through a OneMusic licence. If you are not sure if the music you want to use will require a OneMusic licence, please feel free to contact us.