What you need to know about royalty-free music

The terms ‘royalty-free’ music and ‘PPCA-free’ music can mean lots of different things and they don’t always mean that you don’t need a OneMusic Australia licence.

Not all royalty-free is really royalty-free

Not all music that is called ‘royalty-free’ music is the same. Sometimes it could mean that just the recording is ‘royalty free’ and that the underlying written songs still require an ongoing payment to the creators.

A recording may be ‘royalty-free’ because the supplier already has the permission from the record label that owns the recording, or it could be that the supplier has themselves arranged for a ‘sound-a- like’ recording to be made (sometimes this is called ‘PPCA-free’).

Unfortunately, in our experience, often what is sometimes called ‘royalty-free’ music is in fact not entirely ‘free’ from the payment of ongoing royalties and that you may still require a licence from OneMusic Australia.

If you are not sure if the music you want to use will require a OneMusic Australia licence, please feel free to contact us.

Related stories



Just as your service staff need their RSA and RCG tickets, if you are playing music from OneMusic Australia’s collection, you need your ‘Responsible Service of Music’ (we’re calling it RSM) credentials too.

Read More


Your salon music influences your clients

The reason why you should think of music as a marketing tool

Read More


Music creators were there for you in lock down

(And standing-by when you re-open).

Read More